Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Happy Birthday to my Sis

Hi out there.  I haven't been creating much lately so the posts are few and far between.  For at least three weeks, I have been struggling with computer issues.  I've run numerous and varied scans and did find some "baddies" that were gotten rid of.  But I continued to have issues and it has been consuming my time.  I'm not sure what we did, but today everything seems to be working normally.  (Let's hope the computer gremlins don't hear that).  I guess there was some little accidental fix on our part that did it.

Today's card is one I did create for my sister's birthday last week.  It's pretty generic on the outside but the inside is the fun part.  I have wanted to try this pop-up card for quite a while but I kept putting it off because I thought it would be too hard.  I found a great tutorial by Lisa Young here.  If you prefer to watch a video,  check out Dawn Olchefske's post here.

Card BaseCrisp Cantaloupe card stock.  Add layer of Bermuda Bay card stock.  On a piece of Very Vanilla card stock stamp the dots from the Dotty Angles stamp set with Bermuda Bay ink.  Add piece of Crisp Cantaloupe ribbon and attach layer to card.
Image:  Using Crisp Cantaloupe, Bermuda Bay and Raspberry Ripple markers, ink directly on the stamp from the Embellished Events stamp set.  Huff on it and stamp on Very Vanilla card stock.  Cut out with the Ovals Framelits.  Mat it with Bermuda Bay card stock also cut out with the Ovals Framelits.  Add Gold Glitz Dazzling Details to the flames and the cake plate; let dry and add image to card with Dimensionals.  Added some Pearls to the cake.  I then added some Crisp Cantaloupe and Gold Sequins for a confetti effect.

For the presents inside, I used the tutorials mentioned above.  Birthday Basics designer paper (retired) was used for the presents.  Retired Summer Starfruit ribbon and Crisp Cantaloupe Baker's Twine were added for decoration.  My sister really enjoyed the card so I'm glad I finally gave it a try.  Why not try one yourself.

Stampin' Up! Products Used
Retired Stampin' Up! Products  
Birthday Basics Designer Series Paper; Crisp Cantaloupe 3/8" Ruffle Stretch Ribbon; Summer Starfruit 3/8" Stitched Satin Ribbon 

Thursday, June 12, 2014

For a Hero

Today's card was made based on inspiration from these challenges:  Paper Players Challenge #199, Freshly Made Sketches Challenge #140 and Pals Paper Arts Challenge #207.  It is very rare when you can use two color challenges for the same card but as they say, great minds were thinking alike.

Card BaseWhisper White Card Stock
Diagonal StripeWhisper White embossed with Decorative Dots embossing folder.  Added a strip of Real Red card stock.  Added another piece of the embossed Whisper White.  Two different  Night of Navy pieces of ribbon (retired) were also added.  Used the Essentials Paper Piercing Pack to get the even placement of Real
Red, Night of Navy and Silver brads. 
Night of Navy Layer:  Heat embossed the sentiment from the Words of Courage stamp set using VersaMark and White Embossing Powder.  Attached the diagonalstrip.  Night of Navy layer added to card front.
Stars:  Heat embossed the star from the above stamp set on Night of Navy card stock with White Embossing Powder.  I cut it out with a set of dies I have had for quite a while.  I'm happy to see Stampin' Up! has
card stock I cut out two more stars.  A red brad was come out with their own star framelits.  From Real Red used to attach the small white to the large red star and a silver brad was added to the small red star.  The finishing touch was attaching both to the card with Dimensionals.

When I get a surplus of cards, I donate them to Operation Write Home.  This card will be used as an "any hero card".  You write a generic message in the card and they include them in the boxes of cards that go to military sites around the world.  These cards are given to random soldiers who may not receive mail from home.  If you have an over abundance of cards, you might want to consider giving them to OWH.  Check out their blog here for more information.  That will be it for today.  I hope it's drier where you are today; we've been having rain all week.  Good excuse to stay put and create (or sleep).

Stampin' Up! Products Used
(All other products used are retired SU items except for the star dies)


Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Happy Father's Day Son

Hi all.  As I was thumbing through the Stampin' Up! annual catalog, I realized I never think to use it when my mojo wanders off so I decided to try CASEing some of the ideas they offer.  The idea for this card came from one on page 109.  I am also submitting it to the CAS-ual Fridays Challenge #132 (color Kraft can't be used and add ribbon of some sort).

Card Base:   Sahara Sand card stock.  Embossed another piece Sahara Sand card stock with Stylish Stripes embossing folder.  Added a strip of Blackberry Bliss card stock and Moonlight designer paper and attached the layer to the card.
Sentiment:  Heat embossed the sentiment from the Delightful Dozen stamp set (retired) on Whisper White card stock using VersaMark, Blackberry Bliss ink and Clear Embossing Powder.  Colored in the word father with the Hello Honey marker and rounded the corners.  Hemp twine (retired), my choice of ribbon of some sort, was wrapped around and held down in the back with Glue Dots.  Using the Word Bubbles Framelits, I cut out two from Vellum Card Stock and attached them to another piece of Moonlight designer paper (corners also rounded).  Added a jumbo eyelet and popped the layer up with Dimensionals.  Added the sentiment layer with Dimensionals to finish it off.

It isn't an exact CASE but I adapted it to meet my needs.  And it certainly helps when your creativity goes on vacation.  Enjoy your day.

Stampin' Up! Products Used