Pages

Saturday, September 18, 2010

Can't Resist Christmas

I was looking through some techniques that I have been saving and came across this star that I first saw on Dawn Griffith's blog here.  There are so many different options you can use for the star's paper; you are only limited by your imagination.  I used the Monday Lunchtime Sketch Challenge #139 for design inspiration.
Crumb Cake was used for the base.  The Petals-a-Plenty Embossing Folder turned Always Artichoke into a lovely piece of card stock that I sponged all over with Always Artichoke ink and then added it to the front of the card.  I cut three small scrap pieces of Always Artichoke, Cherry Cobbler and Deck the Halls Designer Series Paper, matted them with Very Vanilla and attached them to a strip of Crumb Cake that I had sponged with Crumb Cake ink.  I adhered that to the center of the card.  For the star, I used the Extra Large Tag Punch and the Large Tag Punch.  I first punched the Cherry Cobbler with the Large Tag Punch and then punched around the opening with the Extra Large Tag Punch.  That gave me the thin tag shapes.  With the 2-Way Glue Pen, I attached them to a piece of the Deck the Halls DSP (Dawn's video above explains the placement) after which I trimmed around them using the Paper Snips.  After attaching the two stars together, I popped them up using Stampin' Dimensionals.  I put Always Artichoke Seam Binding through two holes of the Very Vanilla button from the Deck The Halls Big Designer Buttons and tied a knot .  This ribbon is a little sheer and is to easy to work with.  I almost didn't buy it.  Mini Glue Dots were used to add the button to the middle of the star.  I was going to add a sentiment but because the star was big, I couldn't find a spot on the card that looked right so I'll save it for the inside.  A little long winded but I hope it was worth it.  Enjoy your weekend.  We are being blessed with a beautiful day today.

Stampin' Up Supplies Used 
Irresistible Ink:  Always artichoke (#105219); Crumb Cake (#121030)
Paper Confections:  Crumb Cake (#120953); Always Artichoke (#105119); Cherry Cobbler (#119685); Very Vanilla (#101650); Deck the Halls DSP (#120810)
Terrific Tools:  Petals-a-Plenty Embossing Folder (#116824); Extra Large Tag Punch (#119866); Large Tag Punch (#119876); Stamping Sponges (#101610); Paper Snips (#103579)
Finish It Up:  Deck the Halls Big Designer Buttons (#121002); Always Artichoke 1/2" Seam Binding (#121000); Stampin' Dimensionals (#104430); Mini Glue Dots (#103683); 2-Way Glue Pen (#100425)


 

5 comments:

Eileen Lang said...

Beautiful card. Thanks for the info on how you made it.
Following you from SC.

Julie Gearinger said...

Patti- this is gorgeous! Great job on the colors, layout and elements! Thanks for sharing your talent:-)

Lori Ingebritson said...

Patti, that is beautiful. I'd been using old olive with cherry cobbler and I'm off to pull out the always artichoke. I really like that color combo!

MJ said...

Wow, this is fabulous. What wonderful colors for Christmas. Love it. Thanks so much for playing along with my sketch challenge this week!

heather said...

What a neat technique and the colors are so rich, thanks for sharing your beautiful project! I'm following you from Stampin' Connection, #248 on the list http://craftysahmiam.blogspot.com