Pages

Saturday, November 13, 2010

Operation Write Home Be My Valentine Blog Hop

Welcome to my stop on the Operation Write Home Be  My Valentine Blog Hop.  You may continue the hop by using the link at the end of my post or start at the beginning here.  I have a card to share further down the post.  There's a little surprise for those who make it to the end of this longer than normal post.

The mission of Operation Write Home is to support our armed forces by sending them blank hand made greeting cards to write home on and cards of gratitude to encourage them.  To find out how you can help, please visit their home page at http://operationwritehome.org.  The deadline for Christmas cards is now past but Valentine cards are needed by January 7, 2011.

The expense to ship the cards to our military around the globe is very high.  Right now, OWH is one of three organizations competing for a $50,000 prize in the Craft For a Cause contest.  This would go a long way in helping to defray the costs of mailing the cards to our heroes stationed around the world.  To help them win this prize, please visit this site and cast your vote.  You have one vote per person/e-mail address in each 24 hour period (it must be a full 24 hours before you can vote again).  Voting will end on  December 4 at 11:59 pm EST.  Tell family and friends to vote also.  Every one will add up.  Vote every day and help them come home the winner.  Now on to my card.


I used the stained glass technique on the right side of the card.  You take a piece of the Sticky Pages, peel off one side and add various size shapes of designer series paper to it.  I used the Heart to Heart punch for the shapes and Lap of Luxury dsp.  After adhering the dsp, I added silver embossing powder, made sure it was pressed onto the exposed sticky paper, shook off the excess powder and heat embossed it.  It's hard to see in the photo, but it looks like the hearts are embedded in the silver.  I attached this strip to a piece of Concord Crush which was embossed with the Square Lattice embossing folder.  I added Very Vanilla satin ribbon on the left side using mini glue dots to hold the folds in place.  The image from Greeting Card Kids stamp set was colored in using a blender pen with Pretty in Pink, Concord Crush, Daffodil Delight and Pear Pizzazz ink pads.  I added crystal effects to the heart to give it a little dimension.  This was punched out with the large scallop circle punch, the scallops paper pierced with the paper piercing tool and layered on Concord Crush and Pretty in Pink card stock that was cut out with the Circle Scissors.  The image was added to the card front using dimensionals.  Two filigree brads were added using two Pretty in Pink brads.  The whole layer was adhered to the Very Vanilla card base.  It's now ready to be sent to some sweet little girl back home.

I have been making cards for Operation Write Home for about 2 years and am always glad I do when I read the notes on the Heroes Blog from our service men and women and even family members back home saying how much it means to be able to send and receive these hand crafted cards.  If you have a surplus of cards from postings on your blogs or you just enjoy creating, consider donating them to Operation Write Home.  They can be as simple or as elaborate as you want but they must be hand made.

BLOG CANDY!  BLOG CANDY!!  BLOG CANDY!!!
To thank you for visiting today I am giving away blog candy.
You will receive the following retired items:  Bashful Blue Double-Stitched Grosgrain Ribbon, Sherbet Designer Buttons, and 14 pieces of 5-1/2" x 7-1/2" designer series paper that has Bashful Blue color on them.  Just leave a comment telling me what your favorite technique is when creating your cards and/or projects.  Be sure to leave your e-mail address so I can contact you if you are the winner.  The winner will be announced on Monday.  All comments left before 5:00 pm EST Sunday will be eligible.  I am sorry but this is open to US residents only.  Thanks again for joining us on this hop.

Please continue on with Emily here.

blog signature

56 comments:

MelissaS said...

I love that sweet little girl image, and your stained glass panel! I've never tried that technique, but it looks great (and sounds easy!)

Shell said...

great technique, I may have to give it a whirl

Heather Grow said...

Hi Patti. I love your stained glass technique on your card. Beautiful results. Hmmm. Favorite technique. Actually, I do a lot of origami on my cards. It blends two hobbies together.

And, I have to say sorry, I had a bad link to your blog earlier this morning. I fixed it so your traffic should shoot up very soon.

Shirley G said...

Love the little card stamp. Such a sweet card. My favorite technique is using my circut. I'm very new to card making and am always looking for new ways to improve. Thanks for the ideas.

njgramma said...

Your card is simply too sweet!(I just ordered that stamp set!) Love your colors and embellishments!

Janet said...

Adorable card....I like to have multiple layers on my cards! Thanks so much for the inspiration!

jennifer mitten said...

I love this - my favorite technique is usually paper pieceing but I am a heat embosser as well!

Sharon said...

Oh boy, adding this to my list of techniques to try! Thanks for sharing the nice card!

Lisa said...

Oh I would love to try the stained glass technique - very pretty! TFS! :)

Joanne Travis said...

What a sweet layout for this wonderful image. love it!

Ruza said...

Cute card. Thank you!

Julie said...

That is a cool technique to make those hearts look embedded, thanks for sharing how you did that!

Cleota said...

Cute little girl! I'll have to give that technique a try.

Rhonda Miller said...

I love your card. What a great technique. I love to do tearing on my cards. I just love the look it adds. TFS.

Lesley from WI said...

Your card is adorable. I love the colors. I love embossing on my cards!

stefeni said...

Beautiful card. I really like that stained glass technique. I'm getting such great ideas along this hop! Thanks!

spunkycrayon at yahoo dot com

Emily Ann said...

How sweet is she! I love this card! I might have to check out this technique!!

MomsBeenScrappin said...

What a lovely card! I love the colors:)
Doris
MomsBeenScrappin at yahoo dot com

Holly / InkPaperStamps said...

What a super-cool technique, with stunning results. As for me, I think I'm a punch art girl at heart. . . .

K. Joy said...

What a cute card! Great work with the stained glass technique and the ribbon! THanks for sharing, and thanks for a chance at the blog candy! joytrax at gmail dot com

helloholley said...

I always love to visit your blog....it seems we had the same thought with our little girl,LOL!!!I love the purple Valenetine colors!!!! Beautiful job!!! ;)

Robin said...

cute card!
thanks for sharing with OWH bloghop

Yolanda said...

What a neat technique. I will have to try it. I think embossing may be my favorite technique. My email is derstine5atcenturyteldotnet.

Attegirl said...

Such a cute little girl.. great work!

Tricia said...

What a sweet card!

Cheryl said...

Favorite Technique? WOW...so many to choose from. I love embossing the background. Thanks for the offer of Blog Candy.

andyjay said...

Cute card and love that technique. Will certainly have to try it! TFS and the chance to win! Blessings...

Judy Jackson said...

Cute card -- OWH rocks -- and I voted!

Ann Schach said...

Adorable, Patti! I love the colors choices that you used. And thanks for alerting me to the contest, as well as the deadline for Valentines. As for my favorite technique...distressing!

Ann said...

Love it, thanks for sharing!

grandmalee said...

Love your card! I must try that stained glass technique!

My favorite technique is still heat embossing. I can do it on so many items, and I always get tons of compliments when I do it on my cards.

Courtney Johnston said...

Embossing is definitely my favorite! I love your card!! Thanks so much for sharing!

court122 at gmail dot com

Paula said...

Wow, what great details on this card. The blue combo with just a touch of the pink is terrific.

Seongsook Duncan said...

Very nice card. Thanks for sharing your stained glass technique.

Just Me said...

Cute card.
What an interesting technique, I am going to have to give it a try. I love trying new things.

Patrice said...

Hi Patti I really like your style Lots of fun techniques incorporated in this card. I like to distress and antique my cards. Thanks for hopping.

try god 20 @ verizon,net

Lisa said...

This is tooo cute!

Jennifer Rzasa said...

I'm not sure what my favorite technique is, but I do often use embroidery floss in my projects. Thanks for sharing your card!

ourchangeofart@gmail.com

A Touch of SOL said...

This set is TOO DARLING! My favorite technique is embossing...Gotta love all the embossing folders...Thank you for a chance to win some yummy blog candy...
Marisol Gutierrez
atouchof_sol@yahoo.com

Operation Write Home said...

Aww that is the prettiest little girl - and that stained glass part is just stunning! Beautiful work!

Kimberly S. said...

Such a cute little card!! I've never tried the stained glass technique, but I may now after seeing how pretty it is! My favorite technique is distressing my cards! LOVE that vintage look!!!

Kimberly S.
sudsangel@comcast.net

Samantha said...

Gorgeous card and I really enjoyed the stained glass. I'm fairly new to card making and that's just amazing to me. My favorite technique would either have to be stamping or dry embossing.

Beth Horn's Stamp Pad said...

I love your card! My most used technique would be just simple water coloring, but I think I'm going to try the stained glass technique that you used soon!

BobbisTreasure said...

Thanks for supporting OWH. I like using embossing plates to add depth and texture.
BobbisTreasure@aol.com

Jean B in PA said...

I like your stained glass technique. I like to do simple - a couple of patterned papers with ribbon between and a sentiment matted with a solid that matches. I am trying out new things as I am a relatively new card maker. My e-mail is pearx2 at zoominternet dot net.

CRYSTAL said...

Oh, Patti that is so sweet! I haven't tried this technique yet but it so intrigues me! My favorite technique is Watercoloring - it sooo relaxes me!

Sherry H said...

So pretty! Love the embossing and the stained glass effect. That Greeting Card Kid little girl is quickly becoming my favorite...TFS and happy bloghopping!

Karen Howard said...

That little girl is just adorable! Hugs, Karen

Ann said...

I love the sweet little girl. I think my favorite technique is keeping it simple. I don't do lots of embelishments.

annjerryk at aol dot com

lori j said...

the card is beautiful love the colors.i love trying new techniques .ill have to try this:)

Dixie Cochran said...

What a beauty! Love the rich colors! Thanks for hopping with us!

~ Kendra ~ said...

Cool technique! Pretty card!

Kendra

j_k_sand@yahoo.com

Christine said...

what a super cute card - great non-traditional colors for a Vday card

Holly/Rubber Redneck said...

Patti it is soo cute!!! Great technique!

Shari Winterstein said...

This card is soooo cute! Thanks for blessing my day. :)

Hetty said...

Your card is vewry sweet.