Pages

Monday, February 28, 2011

Thanks a "Whale" Lot

I decided to take the Pals Paper Arts #82 clean and simple elements of style using scallops challenge.  Whew, that's a mouthful.  When I originally saw the challenge, there was a photo of clams/scallops and that stuck in my head.  So, I decided to see what I could come up with and this is it.


I wanted to do the sky and clouds first so I referred to Gretchen Barron's tutorial here.  I had bookmarked this a while back but never got around to trying the technique.  I pretty much followed Gretchen's instructions except when I made my template to use for the clouds, I used the 2-3/8" Scallop Circle punch and the frosting from the Build a Cupcake punch.  I've added a photo of the front and back of my template.  I started near the top of a piece of Whisper White  card stock and randomly sponged Bashful Blue ink covering about 1/3 of the card stock.  I then took three strips of Marina Mist card stock, punched randomly along the strip with the 1" and 1-1/4" circle punches.  The wave edges were sponged with Marina Mist ink and Dazzling Diamonds were added using the 2-way glue.  I attached all three together and added them below the clouds.  The sand was made using a piece of Very Vanilla card stock that I tore along one edge.  The edge was sponged with Crumb Cake ink and the rest spritzed using the Color Spritzer Tool and Crumb Cake and Sahara Sand markers.    The sand was attached below the waves.  A bow made with Marina Mist taffeta ribbon and a black glimmer brad was added along the sand and the whole layer was adhered to the front of the Garden Green card base.  The sentiment from the Fabulous Phrases stamp set was stamped below the bow.  I folded a piece of Crumb Cake card stock and punched it out with the Blossom Petals punch being sure to keep the fold in tact.  Two more single layer shells were punched out from the same punch.  I scored the shells using the paper cutter and the bone folder.  I then sponged all of them with Crumb Cake and Garden Green ink and attached them to the front of the card.  I added a pearl to the inside of the shell that opened.  The whale from the Fox and Friends stamp set was stamped with VersaMark on a piece of Whisper White card stock, heat embossed with black embossing powder, cut out with Paper Snips and popped up between the waves with dimensionals.  Looks like a clean and simple card and it really was.  The idea was in my head and I just had to come up with a way to put it on paper.  I loved making the clouds.  Even my hubby liked the way they turned out.  I will definitely use that technique again.  Hope your week is starting off on the right foot.  May you enjoy lots of sunshine; I'm still waiting for it here in the northeast.

Stampin' Up! Supplies Used 
Super Stamp Set:  Fox & Friends (w-#117020/c-#118565); Fabulous Phrases (w-#117002/c-#120501)
Card Stock Confections:  Garden Green (#102584); Whisper White (#100730); Very Vanilla (#101650); Marina Mist (#119682); Crumb Cake (#120953)
Terrific Tools:  Heat Tool (#100005); Color Spritzer Tool (#107066); Blossom Petals Extra Large Punch (#121808); Build a Cupcake Extra Large Punch (#121807); 1" Circle Medium Punch (#119868); 1-1/4" Circle Large Punch (#119861); Paper Cutter (#104152); Bone Folder (#102300); Stamping Sponges (#101610); Paper Snips (#103579); 2-3/8" Scallop Circle Extra Large Punch (#118874)
Finish It Up:  Basic Pearls (#119247); 2-Way Glue Pen (#100425); Dazzling Diamonds Stampin' Glitter (#102023); Marina Mist 3/8" Taffeta Ribbon (#119965); Glimmer Basics Brads (#121003); Black Stampin' Emboss Powder (#109133); Stampin' Dimensionals (#104430)
blog signature

24 comments:

Linda Callahan said...

Beautiful clouds! What a great ocean scene!

Shari Winterstein said...

Oh my stars Patti - this is fabulous! Thanks for blessing my day. :)

Rose Castillo said...

This is an awesome card. I really love how you used the blossom punch for the clams. All of it came together so nicely.

Cards by Gina said...

Love, love, love your card--so creative and imaginative! Thanks so much for playing along with us at PPA this week!

Leena Girsa said...

Love this card!! Just wanted to let you know I've nominated you for a Stylish Blogger award. Thanks for the inspiration!
Leena
http://alacards.blogspot.com

Ann Schach said...

This is a masterpiece! I have never seen a card as unique or creative as this one!!!

Holly/Rubber Redneck said...

How stinkin cute!! I just love it! Thanks for sharing your tip about the clouds!

Christina Dowty said...

Hi there! I have awarded you with a Stylish Blogger Award. Hop on over to my blog to see how to play along!
Http://thecrazystamplady.blogspot.com

Studio 52 said...

you have a blog award waiting for you at www.kimscreativeniche.blogspot.com

thanks for all you share

Alicia said...

This is suck a great idea! I love it! I am now following you!

Anne Marie said...

Patti, this is above and beyond fabulous!! Every single detail is so fun! The clouds look perfect, the sparkle on the waves...but that tiny pearl inside the shell...SO sweet! Love it! :)

LeAnne said...

What a wonderful card..the shells are fabulous!

TrishG said...

Wow - great card! Love all the details in your scene.
Congrats as being chosen as TOP 3 at Pals Paper Arts - your card is wonderful!

Heartwarmers from Vicki said...

What a cool card. You did a great job creating a fun scene.

Shari Winterstein said...

PATTI! - CONGRATULATIONS on having this card chosen on Pals Paper Arts! Couldn't have happened to a nicer person.

Ann Schach said...

Congrats on your PPA Pick! Didn't I say this was a masterpiece! lol

kksb said...

Your card is fantastic! Incredibly creative. Way to go!!!!

Carla Bazhenow said...

Your card is spectacular!! I love all your beautiful details and you shells are beautiful. Hugs,

helloholley said...

This is OH MY Gosh so stinkin' cute!!! I love the clouds you did an awesome job sponging them....thanks for the tutorial link!!!and the sea shell is adorable....the glitter on the waves is fabby too!! Awesome card as always from you!!! ;)

Theresa Rafter said...

love this card, it is so beautiful

Penny Hanuszak said...

Patti you've done a magnificent job with this card. You are so talented and creative. Your sky is wonderful as are the waves! TFS.

Mary Fish said...

Congrats on being a PPA pick!

Perfect interpretation of the challenge.

Hugs, M

Crystal said...

Wow, Patti, this is AMAZING!!!! Wow. I just can't stop shaking my head at the geniousness in this card - well done!! :)

Jen said...

I love the whale card! Following from SC