Pages

Monday, February 7, 2011

Time For Another Birthday

Today is my younger son's birthday.  This is the card I made for him using the colors from the Stampin' Royalty Challenge #57.  I also tried the cracked glass technique for the first time.

The card base is Baja Breeze card stock and made into an easel card.  I got the original directions from Dawn Griffith here.  Her card is square so I adjusted the measurements to make mine the A2 size.  With the Circle Scissors Plus, I cut out circles from Very Vanilla, Baja Breeze and Not Quite Navy cardstock.  The image from Sense of Time stamp set was stamped on the Very Vanilla circle and spritzed with the Color Spritzer tool and Soft Suede marker.  I put VersaMark ink over the whole image, added some thick embossing enamel (non-Stampin' Up! since they no longer offer glassy glaze enamel) and heated it with the Heat Tool.  You can also use clear embossing powder but you have to do more layers to get a thick layer.  While it was still hot, I added another layer of embossing enamel, heated it and repeated that one more time.  I then put it in the freezer for about 5 minutes.  When I removed it, I "cracked" the image a few times and sponged Soft Suede ink over the cracks to give it an aged, antique look.  I took a silver brad and colored it with the Not Quite Navy craft spot, dipped it in clear embossing powder and heat set it with the Heat Tool.  I did this three times.  I added it to the center of the clock face.  With the distressing tool from the Mat Pack, I distressed the edges of both the Not Quite Navy and Baja Breeze circles and sponged the edges with Soft Suede ink.  I matted a piece of Elegant Soirée designer series paper with Not Quite Navy after rounding the corners on both papers.  I adhered the image to the Baja Breeze and Not Quite Navy circles and popped it up with dimensionals on to the designer paper layer.  This was added to what is the card front when it is not propped up like an easel.  Using the Stamp-a-ma-jig to line them up, the gears from the same stamp set were stamped on a strip of Baja Breeze card stock using Soft Suede ink, the two long edges were distressed with the distressing tool and then sponged with Soft Suede ink.  I added small circles of Not Quite Navy card stock punched from the Crop-a-Dile to the center of the larger gears.  This was matted with a strip of the same designer paper and a strip of Not Quite Navy that was distressed and sponged.  This layer was added to the bottom of the inside and is the prop that holds up the easel part of the card.  Happy birthday was stamped using the retired Birthday Whimsy stamp set.  I am always amazed at how my son's have reached these birthdays and I'm not getting any older!!  I wish.  Hope you have a wonderful day.


Stampin' Up! Supplies Used 
Super Stamp Set:  Sense of Time (#113804); Birthday Whimsy (retired)
Irresistible Ink:  Soft Suede (#115657); VersaMark (#102283); Regals Craft Stampin' Spots (#119717); Soft Suede Marker (#120973)
Paper Confections:  Not Quite Navy (#101722); Baja Breeze (#111352); Very Vanilla (#101650); Elegant Soirée DSP (#117163)
Terrific Tools:  Heat Tool (#100005); circle Scissor Plus (#112530); Glass Mat (#112531); Crop-a-Dile (#108362); Mat Pack (#105826); 3/16" Corner Small Punch (#119867); Stamping Sponges (#101610); Color Spritzer Tool (#107066); Stamp-a-ma-jig (#101049:
Finish It Up:  5/16" Neutrals Jumbo Brads (#112534); Clear Stampin' Emboss Powder (#109130); Stampin' Dimensionals (#104430)

blog signature

14 comments:

Sandy's Stampin' Getaway said...

Beautiful cards Patti. I'm now following you too.
Sandy

Shari Winterstein said...

Fabulous card Patti! Thanks for blessing my day. :)

Debbie Martin said...

Good luck with the not getting older. Love the card, perfect for a boy. Thanks.

Dale Morin said...

First of all Happy birthday to you son! Love the card and I bet he did too. I haven't done cracked glass in a while. I'll have to do one again. Thanks for the inspiration!

Hands On said...

Wow, that cracked glass with that stamp are an amzing duo. Stunning card.

Christy - www.hokiecoyote.com said...

Love the treatment on the clock face. Thanks for visiting my blog.

Ann Schach said...

Wow...absolutely wonderful, Patti! This image works perfectly for the cracked glass technique!

Stephanie Uzee said...

Patti this is fantastic! Love everything about the card! Great Job!

Sandra Farrell said...

Wow - this card is adorable. Great job with the challenge colours. Thanks so much for playing with us this week at Stampin' Royalty.

helloholley said...

Wow Patti!!! this is soooo gorgeous!!! I love the vintage feel!! ;)

Christie Ortman said...

This is so nice Patti! I'm following you now too!

Crystal said...

Oh my goodness Patti, this is an AWESOME card! I love the cracked glass with this clock, and a different fold is always fun! :) tfs

Susan said...

Wow! This is so pretty. I love this clock stamp, I may have to get it, now, lol. I love your technique of "aging" it by cracking and highlighting the cracks with ink...what a good idea! Thank you for your nice comments on my blog, too! :)

Roseyscrapper said...

Patti, this card is awesome. Don't you just love that cracked glass technique?!
Kelly