Pages

Friday, March 11, 2011

Spring Is In My Blog

I have wanted to make this origami box ever since I saw it on Dawn Griffith's blog here.  So when I saw the challenges at The Paper Players Spring Has Sprung Theme Challenge #37 and Pals Paper Arts Inspiration-Easter/Spring Challenge #84, I decided I would finally take a crack at it.  It was a lot easier than I thought.

The box part was made using Springtime Vintage designer series paper.  If you go to the link above, you can click there for directions on how to fold the paper.  The lid was made using the lightweight chipboard type paper that comes in the designer paper.  I always save that.  One thing I always use it for is when I have a card that is a little "lumpy", I slip a piece into the envelope over the lumpy part before I mail it.  It helps smooth over the bulky part of the card.  A piece of the Very Vanilla paper in the Neutrals Patterns DSP Stack was used to cover the chipboard on both sides.  Before I attached the piece to the inside of the cover I added Rose Red ribbon so I would be able to tie the box shut.  I then attached the box to the lid using Sticky Strip.  Using the Dotted Scallop border punch, I punched four strips of the same paper used for the box and added them around the edge of the top.  I made a flower out of Rose Red card stock using the two scallop circle punches.  I punched out three from the larger punch, two from the smaller punch, spritzed them with water, scrunched them up, then opened them up, inserted a brad from the Sweet Stitches fabric brads in the center of all five of them, folded the card stock up around the brad and then opened it up to give it a flower effect.  I set it aside to dry.  The Fun Flowers Bigz die was used to cut out the large and medium flowers from Rose Red and Pear Pizzazz card stock.  They were sponged around the edges with their respective inks.  The Rose Red piece as adhered to the top of the box.  The Pear Pizzazz piece was added using dimensionals.  The Rose Red flower with the brad was popped up on that with dimensionals.  To add a little interest to the inside of the lid, I added a bird that was punched out with the Two-Step Bird punch using Baja Breeze for the bird, Springtime Vintage designer paper for the wing and Pear Pizzazz for the branch.  The bird and wing were sponged with Baja Breeze ink.  I like how this turned out.  It can be used for an Easter, birthday or Mother's Day gift, of course after you add something special to the inside.  The box itself measures 4-1/4"x4-1/4".  I thought I would make 4"x4" note cards to put inside.  If I do that, I will be sure to show you what I come up with.

JUST A REMINDER:  I am giving away some blog candy.  You can check that out on this post.  The winner will be chosen Sunday from comments left on that post.   Good luck.

Stampin' Up! Products Used 
Irresistible Ink:  Baja Breeze (#111833); Pear Pizzazz (#119784); Rose Red (#101778)
Card Stock Confections:  Rose Red (#102544); Pear Pizzazz (#119795); Baja Breeze (#111352); Springtime Vintage DSP (#121782); Neutrals Patterns DSP Stack (#117157)
Terrific Tools:  Big Shot Die-Cutting Machine (#113439); Fun Flowers Bigz L Die (#121812); 2-3/8" Scallop Circle XL Punch (#118874); 1-3/4" Scallop Circle XL Punch (#119854); Dotted Scallop Ribbon Border Punch (#119275); Sponge Daubers (#102892); Two-Step Bird Extra Large Punch (#117191)
Finish It Up:  Sweet Stitches Fabric Designer Brads (#121880); Rose Red 1/2" Seam Binding Ribbon (#121884); Stampin' Dimensionals (#104430); Sticky Strip (#104294) 
blog signature

16 comments:

Dale Morin said...

Oh Patti, I love that box. I just may have to try and make one. It turned out really nice. Great Job!!! TFS

Shari Winterstein said...

This is a fabulous box! I love everything about it. I'm really into the Fun Flowers die and I don't even own it yet - it is on loan from my friend. Thanks for blessing my day. :)

Ann Schach said...

This is a masterpiece, Patti! Simply stunning! Thanks for playing with The Paper Players and for joining the Pals at Pals Paper Arts!

Penny Hanuszak said...

That's one cute box Patti! Love the flower. The color is stunning and I love the use of the two punches it really is a nice effect. The Pear Pizazz goes so well with the Rose Red. TFS!

MarĂ­a said...

BEAUTIFUL Box!!! And Great combination with DPS and the Flower. Love it!

Linda Callahan said...

These colors are beautiful and that flower is just gorgeous!

Debbie Martin said...

WOW! Great job on the box and decorating it. Hats off to you.
www.cleverandcute.blogspot.com

Kendra Richardson said...

Thanks for sharing! I’m your newest follower from SC - #367 Kendra Richardson.
You can find me @ www.kendrascorner.blogspot.com

Crystal said...

This is amazing, Patti! I love this - can't believe it's origami! Love the DSP you chose, love that little birdie you added to the inside. :) tfs

Melanie C said...

Simply beautiful! I love the rose red and pear pizzazz flower!

Holly/Rubber Redneck said...

Wow! Beautiful Box!!!

helloholley said...

Hi Patti!!!
I love this project!!! It's gorgeous ,as always from you!!!
Have a blessed week!;)
Holley

"Michey" said...

Patti, this box is absolutely GORGEOUS!! It's so detailed and just... wow! I <3 it!!

Thanks for the lovely comment on my blog, yours is great too! I'm following you back from SC, have a great day!

Michele
http://www.parchmentpaperie.com

Stacy said...

You are so clever saving that chipboard from the designer packs. I have never thought of that. I will definitely be keeping track of your clever ideas by following. Keep the tips coming.

Anne Marie said...

WOW, Patti! This is gorgeous! The flower has so much detail and I really like the punched border out of DSP. Very pretty! Great tip about saving that chipboard from the paper packs. I got a card in the mail with a cut up piece the other day, instead of the brads poking through the envelope. :)

Andrea Gideon said...

Really nice. The border is pretty. and nice job making the flower.