Pages

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Will You Marry Me?

I will preface this card description with a little background.  When my son proposed to his then girlfriend, he decided he wanted to surprise her but not in a public location.  So he opted to do it at his apartment.  He hid the ring in a bag of flour (the ring was in a plastic bag) on the pretense they were going to make pizza for supper.  As she was getting ready to roll out the dough, she came across the ring in the flour.  A total surprise.  He wanted to record it somehow so he pretended he was texting with his cell phone and was able to record her surprise and the proposal.  He sent us the video and we've saved it since last April.  In December I had ordered the Recordable Stampin' Sound Card but had never used it.  I got the brilliant(!!!!) idea to try and record the sound from the video onto the card.  Unfortunately you only have 10 seconds of recording time and the video was 40+ seconds.  Thanks to my ever patient husband, he was able to edit it down to 10 seconds that included the proposal and her "yes".  It's surprising how much can fit in 10 seconds with a little bit of editing.  Needless to say, they really enjoyed it and I hope treasure it for years to come.  Since I've been so long-winded, I'll just give a few details about how I did the inside of the card.  I still wasn't feeling totally well when I did this so the outside I kept pretty simple.
The front is pretty self-explanatory.  The list of products used are at the bottom of this post.  For the inside, I wanted to cover up the recording thingies on the bottom but also have something that would indicate where to push to get the card to play.  I stamped a piece of Marina Mist card stock with the floral border stamp from the Vintage Vogue stamp set using Night of Navy ink.  I punched out a little flower using the flower punch from the Itty Bitty Shapes Punch Pack, inserted a Marina Mist brad, measured where it should be on the floral strip so that it would be over the play button, attached it to the floral strip with a glue dot and adhered the whole thing to the card.  The top of the card has the holes that the sound comes through so I didn't want to cover them up (I was afraid it would muffle the sound too much).  I stamped the round image from the Artistic Etchings stamp set on a piece of Marina Mist with Night of Navy ink and punched it out with the 1-3/4" Circle punch.  I attached this to a piece of Night of Navy card stock and punched that out with the 2-3/8" Scallop Circle punch.  I then punched out the center of both with the 3/4" Circle punch while they were still attached and adhered the whole thing over where the sound comes out.  It certainly is not the prettiest card I've ever done but I was so excited about being able to do this that it really didn't matter.  I only wish the recording part of the card was a little longer than 10 seconds.  Perhaps they'll be able to share this with their children some day.  I hope you're having a wonderful day.

Stampin' Up Products Used 
Stamps:  **Four Frames (w-#123440/c-#123442); Always Elegant (w-#116976/c-#120477); Artistic Etchings (w-#118517/c-#120573); Vintage Vogue (w-#117690/c-#118598)
Ink:  Night of Navy (#102977)
Card Stock:  Night of Navy (#100867); Shimmery White (#101910); Marina Mist (#119682)
Tools:  Big Shot Die-Cutting Machine (#113439); Backgrounds 1 Texturz Plates (#114512); Decorative Label Punch (#120907); Ticket Corner Small Punch (#119867); 2-3/8" Scallop Circle XL Punch (#118874); 1-3/4" Circle XL Punch (#119850); 3/4" Circle Medium Punch (#119873); Itty Bitty Shapes Punch Pack (#118309); Recordable Stampin' Sound Card (#121009)
Finish It Up:  Marina Mist 3/8" Taffeta Ribbon (#119965); Subtles Brads (#119738); Stampin' Dimensionals (#104430); Mini Glue Dots (#103683)

**This stamp set, along with the Paisley Prints DSP (#122367), is part of the Spring is Blossoming sneak peak of 2 new products from the 2011-2012 Idea Book & Catalog.  You can order both with a $20 minimum purchase.  You can access my on-line store by clicking Shop 24/7 on my side bar and use the Shop Now button.  They will be delivered directly to your home.  They may only be order from April 1 through April 30.  The next time they are available will be in July.

blog signature

12 comments:

Michey said...

What a wonderful idea for the audio cards! This is definitely a memory they'll cherish forever!

Alicia said...

Hi, I just wanted to pass on the Stylish Blogger Award to you. I really enjoy your blog. You can find out more about the award on my post @ glitteringstamps.blogspot.com
CONGRATS!

Shari Winterstein said...

I think this is the most wonderful idea I've ever heard for these cards. This is the first time that I've cried looking at someone's blog. What an amazing and beautiful story. Thanks for blessing my day more than usual Patti! :) Oops - almost forgot to tell you how much I like this card. That is my FAVORITE Texturz plate.

Debbie Martin said...

What a beautiful card. Love how you did the inside. I am sure that they will appreciate this. TFS

Dale Morin said...

Patti, I have tears in my eyes. What a wonderful story and what a fabulous thing you and your husband did with the card. I am sure they will cherish it forever! Your son was clever too hiding the ring and then recording everything. That way everyone could share this very special moment in their lives.
Thanks so much for sharing this with us.

Anne Marie said...

Patti, I seriously am teary-eyed after reading your post. What a romantic way to propose (sigh) and how amazing that they will have such a beautiful card to cherish for years to come. I love all of the soft blues and the clean design. Absolutely gorgeous...ok, I have to go find a tissue now! :)

Yolanda said...

That is a beautiful card. I especially like the loving thoughts behind it. How amazing it would be to have that moment that you said yes saved for ever, and on a card. I LOVE IT! I am sure your soon to be daughter in law will love it too. As always amazing!

Stacy said...

Oh Patti this makes my heart mely. It is so sweet!! The card is great.

~Stacy
http://stacysstampinspot.blogspot.com

Penny Hanuszak said...

I have to join Anne Marie, Dale and Shari in the teary eye department Patti. Beautiful story, beautiful memories and a beautiful card capturing the "momentt". Love is grand!

Michele said...

What an amazing gift to give to them. I am sure they will treasure it for years to come. Simply Beautiful.

Ann Schach said...

What a classy card...and a wonderful story!

Anonymous said...

We agree with all of the above comments :) This is the most thoughtful and special card we have ever received. We now have our sweetest memory recorded in a beautful card to cherish always. Thanks for being such a talented, sweet, and creative mom! Kudos to that fabulous and ever wise husband of yours too ;) Lots of love,
karla and mark