Pages

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Black & White Birthday

Normally these would be very non-traditional colors for a birthday card but when I saw the Just Add Ink Challenge 71 of using just black and white, I figured why not go for it.  I really like how using black and white makes a card seem a little "classy".  And since I made it a birthday card, I am adding it to the So Shelli June challenge of birthday cards.

My card is a 5" square easel card.  The base is Whisper White.  I like this design for the main image; reminds me of a quilt block.  It was done using the Whisper White patterns from the Neutrals designer paper.  I cut out one inch squares, cut them on the diagonal and attached them to a piece of
Closed Card Front
Basic Black card stock in the pattern shown.  I ran this layer through the Big Shot using the Perfect Polka Dots embossing folder.  This was added to a piece of Whisper White card stock that I had punched the edges with the Scallop Trim Border punch and the Scallop Trim Corner punch.  Two small pieces of Basic Black ribbon were folded into loops.  I crisscrossed them and added an Antique brad by opening up the little thingees on the back and closing them around the ribbon (hope that makes sense).  I then made a hole in the center of the image with the paper piercing tool and added the brad and ribbon.  I added this to a 5"x5" piece of Basic Black card stock.  I punched a strip of Basic Black card stock along both sides with the Scallop Trim Border punch, added a piece of Whisper White card stock and attached this to the inside of the card.  The sentiment from the Fabulous Phrases stamp set was stamped on Whisper White with Versamark, heat embossed with black embossing powder and punched out with the oval punch.  A silver brad was added on each side of the sentiment.  This was popped up with dimensionals on one of the images from the Four Frames stamp set that was stamped in Basic Black on Whisper White card stock and punched out with the Decorative Label Punch.  I used dimensionals to attach this to the black and white strip; it is now the prop for the front of the easel card.  Hope the sun is shining where you are.  We have had clouds and rain for three days.  Would love to see the sun but the heat can stay away.  Have a great day.

Stampin' Up! Products Used 
Stamps:  Fabulous Phrases (w-#117002/c-#120501); Four Frames (w-#123440/c-#123442)
Ink:  Basic Black (#101179); VersaMark (#102283)
Card Stock/Paper:  Whisper White (#100730); Basic Black (#121045); Neutrals Patterns DSP Stack (#117157)
Tools:  Big Shot Die-Cutting Machine (#113439); Heat Tool (#100005); Perfect Polka Dots Embossing Folder (#117335); Scallop Trim Border Punch (#118402); Scallop Trim Corner Punch (#118870); Decorative Label Punch (#120907); 1-3/4"x7/8" Oval Large Punch (#119855); Paper Piercing Tool (#116631)
Finish It Up:  Basic Black 3/8" Taffeta Ribbon (#119962); Antique Brads (#117273); Silver Brads (#104336); Stampin' Dimensionals (#104430); Black Stampin' Emboss Powder (#109133)
 

8 comments:

Ann Schach said...

Wow, Patti! The bow and brad really set this card off! So classy in black and white!

Kathy @ Stamping Still said...

What a beautiful easel card Patty. I LOVE your quilt block done with the dsp. The little bow is so pretty. Thanks for playing at JAI.

Bronwyn Eastley said...

This is a mini masterpiece. Thanks for playing the Black and White Challenge at Just Add Ink.

Rachel Moore said...

wow you sure have put a lot of work for a great result

Patrice said...

I'm with Ann, that brad and bow look terrific. Great B&W card. Thanks for joining us at Just Add Ink this week.

Shari Winterstein said...

I'm with Ann - Wow, Patti! Very striking. Thanks for blessing my day. :)

KimB said...

Your quilt block star looks stunning Patti - well worth the effort. The bow and brad were great finishing touches. Thanks for playing at Just Add Ink.
Kim

inkeverywhere said...

Fantastic, This reminds me of the quilts my sister makes. I love the different patterns in the paper. Chantell