Monday, July 18, 2011

Shadow Box in Calypso


Over the past four years, I have saved card ideas I liked and techniques and projects I've wanted to try.  After saving all these ideas, I've decided to make an effort to tackle them on an ongoing basis.  My first technique is a shadow box card that I first saw on Dawn Griffith's blog here.  I chose the Stampin' Royalty Challenge #80 for my inspiration.

When I saw this challenge, the vase became my main inspiration.  The colors and design were the focus of my card.  I chose Calypso Coral card stock for the card base.  The top layer was run through the Big Shot using a Texturz plate.  I then punched two holes, one with the 1-3/8" circle punch and one with the 1-3/4" circle punch.  I added a scallop trim around the smaller circle by first punching out a 1-3/8" circle from a scrap piece of Baja Breeze I found in my scrap envelope and then punching around that with the 1-3/4" scallop circle punch.  In order to get the right placement of the items for the inside, I laid the front part of the shadow box over the back and drew light circles with a pencil.  The vase was made using the Paisley Petals designer paper and punched out with the Ornament punch.  I layered it on a piece of River Rock card stock punched out with the same punch.  I trimmed off the bottom to make it look like a vase.  Dazzling Diamonds were added (which you probably can't see in the photo) using the 2-Way Glue Pen.  This was attached to the inside of the shadow box using dimensionals.  For the smaller circle, I first punched a piece of River Rock card stock with the 1-3/8" circle punch. Using three Bitty Buttons, I attached pieces of Baja Breeze, Bravo Burgundy, and Calypso Coral card stock that was punched out with the Itty Bitty Shapes punches.  They were added to the River Rock circle with mini glue dots.  I drew stems for each with the Always Artichoke marker and added rhinestones to each flower.  This was also popped up on the inside using dimensionals.  I attached a bow of Baja Breeze ribbon to the outside layer of the shadow box.  The sentiment from the Just Believe stamp set was stamped on River Rock card stock with Always Artichoke ink and punched out with the Word Window punch.  I matted each end with pieces of Bravo Burgundy, Baja Breeze and Always Artichoke card stock.  I attached the front to the back and added a little more rhinestone bling to the card front.  From the lengthy description, it sounds like a complicated card to make but it really wasn't.  It also folds flat and fits in a regular envelope.  The only problem I can see is you have to write your greeting on the back of the card.  I like the idea that the card stands on its own and you have so many possibilities because of the wide variety of punches available.  If you have any questions about this card, please e-mail me from the side bar.  Have a great day and stay cool.

Stampin' Up! Products Used 
Stamp:  Just Believe (w-#1168948/c-#120453)
Ink:  Always Artichoke (#105219); River Rock (#109010); Always Artichoke Marker (#105113)
Card Stock/Paper:  Calypso Coral (#119794); River Rock (#108640); Baja Breeze (#111352); Bravo Burgundy (#105123); Always Artichoke (#105119); Paisley Petals DSP (#122367)
Tools:  Big Shot Die-Cutting Machine (#113439); Backgrounds 1 Texturz Plates (#114512); 1-3/8" Circle Punch (#119860); 1-3/4" Circle Punch (#119850); 1-3/4" Scallop Circle Punch (#119854); Ornament Punch (#119847); Word Window Punch (#119857); Itty Bitty Shapes Punch Pack (#118309)
Finish It Up:  Baja Breeze 1/2" Seam Binding Ribbon (#122331); Bitty Buttons (#118761); Basic Rhinestone Jewels (#119246); Mini Glue Dots (#103683); Stampin' Dimensionals (#104430); Stamping Sponges (#101610); 2-Way Glue Pen (#100425); Dazzling Diamonds Stampin' Glitter (#102023)
 

6 comments:

Dale Morin said...

Patti, How cute! I love these cards but don't often make them. Thanks for the inspiration!

Eileen Lang said...

Love your card and all of the instructions. Thanks for sharing, and thank you also for your nice comments on my blog.

Linda Callahan said...

Love this! It is spot on with the inspiration photo!

Ann Schach said...

You nailed this challenge, Patti! A perfect take on the inspiration photo!

Lisa Kmiec said...

Very nice! I love your colors!

New follower from SC

Lisa

Anne Marie said...

Another winner of a color combo! I haven't played arond with Calypso Coral yet...but now, I think the time has come. Those bitty buttons are such a fabulous touch, too. It's always so inspiring to stop by and visit, Patti! I love your work! :)