Pages

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Butterflies in Faux Silk

The faux silk technique has been in my binder of ideas for a long, long time, but I have ignored it because I thought it would be troublesome to do.  Not so!  I took on the Stamping 411 Saturday Sketch Challenge #217 and the Color Lab Color Challenge #53 to finally give this technique a try.

My version of the technique goes like this.  On a piece of Naturals Ivory card stock I stamped the swirly design from the Creative Elements stamp set with Soft Suede ink.  I then sponged around the edges and over the image first with Soft
close up of faux silk
Suede ink and then Pool Party ink.  The butterflies from the same stamp set were inked up with Pear Pizzazz ink and "rock and rolled" on the edges with Soft Suede ink and stamped on a scrap piece of tissue paper, the kind you use in gifts.  I'm afraid I need more practice with that technique.  I crumbled the tissue paper up really tight and carefully opened it back up.  Using the glue stick, I covered the swirly image with the glue and carefully added the stamped tissue paper over it, smoothing it as I went along.  You have to be careful doing this as the paper might tear when it gets glue on it.  Trim the edges or fold them over and glue to the back of the image.  I matted the image with Soft Suede card stock and added 
it to a piece of Pool Party card stock that I had run through the Big Shot using the Framed Tulips embossing folder.  A bow was made with the crochet trim and the ends wrapped around each side of the embossed layer.  This was attached to the Pear Pizzazz card.  The sentiment from the Fabulous Phrases stamp set was stamped on Naturals Ivory card stock with Soft Suede ink and punched out with the small oval punch.  Stampin' Up! only has the white pearls, so I colored them with a permanent marker and added them to the butterflies and the sentiment.  I really enjoyed  this technique and hope you understand what I did.  If you've been wanting to give it a try, jump right in.  It's fun and easy to do.  See you here again soon.

Stampin' Up! Products Used 
Stamps:  Creative Elements (w-#122645/c-#122647); Fabulous Phrases (w-#117002/c-#120501)
Ink:  Soft Suede (#115657); Pool Party (#122938); Pear Pizzazz (#119784)
Card Stock:  Pear Pizzazz (#119795); Pool Party (#122924); Soft Suede (#115318); Naturals Ivory (#101849)
Tools:  Big Shot Die-Cutting Machine (#113439); Framed Tulips Embossing Folder (#121809); Small Oval Punch (#120908)
Finish It Up:  Chantilly 1/2" Crochet Trim (#118480); Basic Pearls (#119247); Anywhere Glue Stick (#104045); Sponge Daubers (#102892); Stampin' Dimensionals (#104430)
 

 

14 comments:

Jen said...

I love the faux silk technique and I think your card is terrific! Love the rock and roll on your butterflies. Thanks for joining us at the ColorLab!

Penny Hanuszak said...

Very lovely card Patti and a great tutorial on how you did it. I love the color mix. TFS.

Cindy said...

Absolutely beautiful!!

Micki - Avenue of Art said...

Patti,
Your card is beautiful!
Of course...you've now got me in the mood to try it again. lol
(Your detailed instructions should make it easy for even a new stamper.)
TFS

Ann Schach said...

Absolutely gorgeous, Patti! Like you, I was afraid of this technique, but I discovered it is so easy! I really like the scroll work that you have stamped as the background. I love the colors you have selected. The pearls are the perfect touch!

Dale Morin said...

Patti, Love, love your card. It is really beautiful. Thanks for the tutorial. If I am understanding it correctly the tissue remains on top of everything and the swirls show through? I have to give this a try. Thanks so much for sharing.

Tiffany Bauer said...

Absolutely beautiful!! Love the butterflies!!

Selene Kempton said...

This is so very beautiful!

Patti Chesky said...

I love everything about this card...the butterflies, the background. It's lovely!

At Paula's Place said...

Like everyone else I love your card. When I first saw it I thought you had cut them out of regular card stock but this is so much more interesting. The colors are perfect and now I know that you can color those pearls I will be trying both of these things. Great job TFS

Debbie Martin said...

I really love this card, I'll have to try it for one of my technique classes. Thanks again for the awesome blog candy! You Rock!
www.cleverandcute.blogspot.com

Sunflower Stamper said...

Beautiful card! Love the butterflies!! Not sure I've ever done that technique-will have to give it a try!! Thanks for playing along at the ColorLab!!

Lori Burkitt said...

This is gorgeous, Patti! As in drop dead, shut the front door gorgeous! Love it!

Lisa Kmiec said...

Beautiful! I love this technique!