Pages

Monday, October 17, 2011

Early Birthday

As I mentioned in yesterday's post, my son and daughter-in-love were visiting for the weekend.  She has a birthday in another week, but since we won't see her before then, I made a cake and gave her this card and her gift early.

The inspiration for this card came from the Paper Lovin' Gals Challenge #1 (this is a new challenge blog that started this week).

I used the colors but also the pitcher and the bright pink daisies in the photo as my inspiration.  The card base is Crumb Cake card stock.  I added a strip of Melon Mambo card stock that I ran
through the Big Shot with the Perfect Polka Dots embossing folder and a strip of Marina Mist card stock.  The only image of a pitcher I had was from the Studio Sketches stamp set but that has two pears and I didn't want the pears to be included.  I stamped the image on a piece of watercolor paper with black StazOn ink.  I colored in the image with Marina Mist ink and a blender pen, pears included.  Using the spritzer tool and the Crumb Cake marker, I spritzed the image.  I've been wanting to try this technique I saw on Leanne Greff's blog for making the frame using the Decorative Label punch.  I punched mine out of Mocha Morning Specialty designer paper.  The image was attached to the frame and matted with a piece of Basic Black card stock.  Before adding this layer to the card with dimensionals, I heat embossed the sentiment from the Happiest Birthday Wishes stamp set using VersaMark and black embossing powder on the bottom of the card front.  After attaching the image layer, I used the Big Shot and the Flower Daisies Bigz Die to cut out two of the smallest daisies from Melon Mambo card stock.  I added a 1/2" circle of Daffodil Delight and a black glimmer brad to the center and attached it over the pears with a glue dot.  A little camouflage with Melon Mambo.  All set to link it to the new challenge blog.  Check it out if you're looking for challenges that use inspiration photos.  Have a great day.

Stampin' Up! Products Used 
Stamp Sets:  Studio Sketches (w-#115974/c-#122222); Happiest Birthday Wishes (w-#122675/c-#122617 - Hostess)
Ink:  Marina Mist (#119668); VersaMark (#102283); Crumb Cake Marker (#120967); Jet Black StazOn Ink Pad (#101406)
Card Stock/Paper:  Crumb Cake (#120953); Basic Black (#121045); Melon Mambo (#115320); Marina Mist (#119682); Daffodil Delight (#119683); Mocha Morning Specialty Designer Series Paper (#122366); Watercolor Paper (#122959)
Tools:  Decorative Label Punch (#120907); Flower Daisies #2 Bigz Die (#114520); Big Shot Die-Cutting Machine (#113439); Perfect Polka Dots Embossing Folder (#117335); Color Spritzer Tool (#107066); Blender Pens (#102845); 1/2" Circle Punch (#119869)
The Finishing Touches:  Black Stampin' Emboss Powder (#109133); Glimmer Basics Brads (#121003); Mini Glue Dots (#103683); Stampin' Dimensionals (#104430)


 

9 comments:

Michele F. said...

Gosh.. such a beautiful card! I love your take on our challenge! Very pretty coloring. I am sort of an impatient person when it comes to coloring... so I admire yours!! So glad you found us and we hope you do join us again at Paper Lovin' Gals! Have a great day!
Michele F.
PLG DT

Kristi said...

So pretty! I love cards that are made using pictures of non-cards as inspiration because I'm not good at doing those myself!

I think it is totally adorable that you call your son's wife your daughter-in-love. I hope I'll have that kind of relationship with my daughter's future husband!

Kasey said...

Hi Patti,

Welcome to the first Paper Lovin' Gals challenge.

I really like your take on our inspiration photo. Those colours go so well together. I love that swirly background.

I am sure your Daughter-in-Love (love that term) really liked her card.

Cheers,
Kasey ~ in Oz
Paper Lovin' Gals DT

Ann Schach said...

Beautiful, Patti! I LOVE the colors...WOW!

Holly said...

This came out great.. I love how you used the color and the flower is perfect. Thanks for joining us at Paper Lovin' Gals.

Monique said...

Love your card, I too have been wanting to try that frame with the decorative label punch, it looks great here.

I love the splash of colour behind the main picture too, brings out the colour of the flower and the jug.

Michele K. said...

One word... FABULOUS! Thanks so much for joining us for our very first challenge! :)

Dale Morin said...

Just beautiful. Love the coloring. that is something I need practice on. You did such a beautiful job.

Holly/Rubber Redneck said...

Beautiful card!! I love the colors too!