Pages

Monday, November 14, 2011

Happy Birthday Paul

Saturday was my older son's birthday.  I saw this card on Lorri Heiling's blog here.  (Thank you Lorri).  I like the simplicity but also the fact it would be a great guy card.  This was an almost identical CASE; I just changed up a few things.

For the card base I used Night of Navy card stock.  I took a piece of Bashful Blue textured card stock and dragged the Night of Navy ink pad across it first horizontally and then vertically.  This layer was added to the card front.  I cut another piece of the Bashful Blue card stock for the  
pocket and trimmed off two corners with the Paper Cutter to give it the point on the bottom.  I did the same thing to the pocket with the Night of Navy ink pad as I did with the first layer.  The sentiment from the Word Play stamp set was heat embossed on the pocket with VersaMark and silver embossing powder.  Using the paper piercer and the paper piercing template from the Mat Pack, I punched holes around the edge of the pocket.  I threaded Linen Thread through the holes with a large-eye needle.  Two silver brads were added on the top corners.  The birthday sentiment from the Fabulous Phrases stamp set was heat embossed on Real Red card stock, again with VersaMark and silver embossing powder.  I punched out the sentiment with just the end of the Decorative Label Punch and attached it to the back of the pocket.  The pocket was attached to the card with sticky strip.  For photo purposes only, I added a gift card to the pocket.  You can also insert cash or a check.  I am pleased with the end result and am so glad I saved this idea from Lorri.  I'm not sure what my son thought of it because we talked to him in the morning before he got the card.  Thanks for stopping by.  If you're so inclined, please feel free to leave a comment.  I love hearing from you.

Stampin' Up! Products Used 
Stamp Sets:  Word Play (w-#120308/c-#120651); Fabulous Phrases (w-#117002/c-#120501)
Ink:  Night of Navy Ink Pad (#102977); VersaMark (#102283)
Card Stock:  Subtles 12x12 Textured Card Stock (#121075); Night of Navy Card Stock (#100867); Real Red Card Stock (#102482)
Tools:  Mat Pack (#105826); Paper-Piercing Tool (#116631); Heat Tool (#100005); Paper Cutter (#104152); Decorative Label Punch (#120907)
The Finishing Touches:  Silver Brads (#104336); Linen Thread (#104199); Silver Stampin' Emboss Powder (#109131); Sticky Strip (#104294)
      


5 comments:

Dale Morin said...

Patti, This is a great card! I will have to save it to CASE when it is my son's birthday. I love the look of the navy with the bashful blue. TFS

Shari Winterstein said...

What a fabulous guy card! Happy birthday to the birthday boy! Thanks for blessing my day. :)

Ann Schach said...

So creative...both in layout and technique! A perfect masculine card, Patti!

Penny Hanuszak said...

Wow Patti you really worked this denim technique, and with such fabulous results! Great card. Really appreciate your sharing the original and yours. Loved both.

Eileen Lang said...

I love that card. I find it hard to come up with different ideas for masculine cards and this one I will definitely case too and share with my customers. Thanks for the info on how you did it.r