Pages

Sunday, November 6, 2011

Punch Poinsettia

Do you ever wonder what to do with the large images on designer paper?  If you scrapbook, they're great but for card making they present a challenge.  When I saw the Craft Project Central Challenge #5, this sheet of paper popped right into my head.  This card is simple to make and the most time-consuming part was the poinsettia.

CPC Sketch #5
The card  base is Chocolate Chip card stock.  I cut off the beautiful corner of a piece of the Berry Bouquet designer paper.  I trimmed around the scallops (the edges had brown lines all around but I wanted just the scallops for the edges) and added it to the front of the card.  Using the Blossom Petals Builder Punch, I punched out ten of the smallest petals from Real Red card stock and two of the next largest petal from Wild Wasabi card stock.  I sponged the edges of all the petals with Real Red and Wild Wasabi inks.  The flower petals were then attached to a piece of Real Red card stock punched out with the 3/4" Circle Punch.  Using liquid glue, I started with five petals for the first layer and added five more over those.  The liquid glue enabled me to adjust the placement while it was still wet.  The leaves were added behind the flower.  A row of pearls that were colored with a permanent marker were added near the bottom edge.  The flower was popped up over the pearls with dimensionals.  Three larger pearls were colored with a permanent marker and added to the center of the flower.  I added a colored pearl to the center of the small poinsettia on the designer paper as well as some Dazzling Details to the berries and the pine cones.  The punched poinsettia added just the right touch to the designer paper.  I will definitely look at the larger images on designer paper more creatively in the future.  May your weekend be going as well as you'd hoped.  And, if you forgot, your clocks should have been set back one hour last night to end daylight savings time for another year.  Until the next time, be happy and create, create, create.

Stampin' Up! Products Used 
Ink:  Real Red Ink Pad (#103133); Wild Wasabi Ink Pad (#109014)
Card Stock/Designer Paper:  Chocolate Chip Card Stock (#102128); Real Red Card Stock (#102482); Wild Wasabi Card Stock (#108641); Holly Berry Bouquet Specialty Designer Series Paper (#124004)
Tools:  Blossom Petals Builder Punch (#121808); 3/4" Circle Punch (#119873); Stamping Sponges (#101610); Paper Snips (#103579)
The Finishing Touches:  Basic Pearls (#119247); Dazzling Details (#124117); Multipurpose Liquid Glue (#110755); Stampin' Dimensionals (#104430)
 

4 comments:

PaperFairyKris said...

Great idea! I always save those pieces with the large images and I don't really know what to do with them. This is beautiful! Thanks for the detailed instructions and I love your poinsettia. Great way to use the sketch challenge and thanks for playing along! I will have to try this.

Jacque said...

Love it!! I too love the poinsettia!! And I've never thought to color the pearls! I'll be trying that for sure! Thanks for sharing Patti!

Kim said...

Great way to use up that DSP - I too have problems using these types of sheets.

Thanks for sharing,
Kim

Anne Marie said...

What a fun idea, Patti! I never tend to use those larger prints (I usually just use the other side, haha!) but this is awesome inspiration. The poinsettia, looks beautiful, especially with those colored pearls. :)