Pages

Sunday, December 11, 2011

Snowman CASE

My card today is this cute snowman that I totally CASE'd from LeeAnn Greff here.  In fact, I made three of them (see below) only changing up the snowflake embellishment on the others.

The "card part" (face) was made with Shimmery White card stock that I ran through the Big Shot with the Top Note die.  I scored and folded it in half.  The hat was made with Basic Black card stock that was run through the Big Shot with the Snow Burst embossing folder.  The brim of the hat is a piece of Real Red card stock that was cut out with the Top Note die.  I used the long side, trimmed off the point near the face and rounded the top corners of this piece.  The red brim was attached to the hat with sticky strip; I wanted to be sure it held together especially with the two pieces being embossed.  The hat was then attached to the white folded "face".  The snowflake is from the Northern Frost Sizzlits die that was cut out with the Big Shot from Silver Glimmer paper.  I punched out a Real Red circle with the circle punch from the Itty Bitty Shapes Punch Pack and attached it to the snowflake.  Two Mini Jingle Bells were strung on a piece of White Baker's Twine.  I attached them to the center of the circle by "sewing" them to the circle; I threaded each end of the twine through a large-eye needle and then ran it through to the back of the snowflake and tied it off.  The snowflake and bells were then 
Click to see larger image
attached to the hat with glue dots.  The eyes are Basic Black card stock punched out with the 1/2" Circle Punch.  I free-hand cut the nose from Pumpkin Pie card stock.  His mouth is circles punched from the Crop-a-dile.  I used a sponge dauber and Blushing Bride ink to add his cheeks.  I need some gift card holders
and decided to turn him into one.  But I realized he isn't wide enough to hold a card side ways and the folded area is too short to add the card vertically, so I used half of a Top Note die cut from Glossy White card stock embossed with the Snow Burst embossing folder and attached it to the back of the card.  The gift card fits perfectly.  The one drawback to this is the gift card has to be removed to open the card for the greeting.  I'm sure whoever receives the gift card won't mind this little inconvenience.  Thanks to LeeAnn for this great idea.  This is one I will file away to save for future Christmases.  If my directions don't make any sense, check out her blog; she has a great explanation of how she did it.  Have a great Sunday.  I hope you get a chance to have some creative fun today.

Stampin' Up! Products Used 
Ink:  Blushing Bride Ink Pad (#119786)
Card Stock:  Shimmery White (#101910); Real Red (#102482); Basic Black (#121045); Pumpkin Pie (#105117); Silver Glimmer Paper (#124005); Glossy White (#102599)
Tools:  Big Shot Die-Cutting Machine (#113439); Snow Burst Embossing Folder (#124096); top Note Bigz Die (#113463); Northern Frost Sizzlits Decorative Strip Die (#120901); 1/2" Circle Punch (#119869); Itty Bitty Shapes Punch Pack (#118309); Crop-a-Dile (#108362); White uni-ball Signo Gel Pen (#105021); Sponge Daubers (#102892)
The Finishing Touches:  Mini Jingle Bells (#124116); Sticky Strip (#104294); Mini Glue Dots (#103683); White Baker's Twine (#124262)

 


6 comments:

Dale Morin said...

Patti, I love this guy. I had printed it out earlier from LeAnn but never got to make it. I really have to do some of these. I never thought of using it for anything but a gift card. I liked that you folded it in half so it could be opened!

Dale Morin said...

Just checked out LeAnn's blog and that wasn't what I saw. Guess I saw it elsewhere. The one I saw didn't fold.

Eileen Lang said...

I love the snowman. Will definitely be a cased project for me. Thanks for sharing.

Micki - Avenue of Art said...

I love your snowman card...and all the others you've been posting. (I am in the middle of addressing the last of my Christmas cards, so I'll have to stop back later and do some casing! lol)
Thanks for sharing your wonderful talent of turning those "sketch and color challenges into works of art!
- Micki (www.AvenueofArt.com)

nitestamper said...

this just sparkles!!!!!
wonderful gift card idea!!!!
tfs:)
c

Shirley Pumpkin said...

Love it!!

Hugs
Shirley