Pages

Friday, February 10, 2012

Blue Christmas

Today I'm sharing my weekly Christmas card based on the Merry Monday Challenge #6.  I also used the color challenge at Hand Stamped Sentiments Challenge #104.  There's a lot of shimmer on this card but that's perfect for the holidays.

The card base is Marina Mist card stock.  A piece of Twitterpated designer paper was run through the Big Shot with the Snow Burst embossing folder.  Before I removed it from the folder, I gently used a sanding block across the raised area of the paper.  This 
brings out the white core center of the designer paper.  I found that by keeping the paper in the folder prevents the paper from tearing since the designer paper isn't as heavy as regular card stock.  I matted the designer paper with Not Quite Navy card stock and added it to the front of the card.  Marina Mist card stock was punched along one edge with the Scallop Trim Border punch, stamped with a sentiment from the Merry Winter stamp set using Not Quite Navy ink, and attached to a piece of Not 
Quite Navy card stock.  It was attached to the card with glue dots.  Baja Breeze card stock was then run through the Big Shot with the Northern Flurry embossing folder.  It's difficult to see in the photo, but this piece was heavily spritzed with both Frost White and Platinum shimmer paints.  If you aren't aware, you can mix the shimmer paints with alcohol in a small spritzer bottle for an additional way to add glimmer to your projects.  This layer was also matted with Not Quite Navy card stock and attached with dimensionals.  The snowflake was cut out of Silver Glimmer Paper with the Big Shot and the Northern Frost Sizzlits Strip die.  I added a Marina Mist glimmer brad to the center and added it to the card with glue dots.  As a final touch, rhinestones were added between each scallop and in the center of the embossed snowflakes.  Well, that is it for week six of the Christmas card challenge.  One of these weeks I'm going to have to do a make up card for the first week that I missed.  Thanks for coming by.  Have a great weekend.  Have fun and be creative. 

Stampin' Up! Products Used 
Stamp Set:  Merry Winter (w-#122700/c-#122702)
Ink:  Not Quite Navy Ink Pad (#103008)
Card Stock/Designer Paper:  Marina Mist Card Stock (#119682); Not Quite Navy Card Stock (#101722); Baja Breeze Card Stock (#111352); Twitterpated Designer Series Paper (#125406); Silver Glimmer Paper (#124005)
Tools:  Big Shot Die-Cutting Machine (#113439); Northern Flurry Embossing Folder (#120902); Snow Burst Embossing Folder (#124096); Northern Frost Sizzlits Decorative Strip Die (#120901); Scallop Trim Border Punch (#118402); Designer Sanding Blocks (#124304)
The Finishing Touches:  Frost White Shimmer Paint (#116854); Platinum Shimmer Paint (#116807); Subtles Glimmer Brads (#121004); Basic Rhinestone Jewels (#119246); Mini Glue Dots (#103683); Stampin' Dimensionals (#104430)



10 comments:

Dawn Braun said...

love your sweet icy row of gems along the bottom and in the center of the embossed snowflakes, such a fun blue winter card! Thanks for playing along this week at Hand Stamped Sentiments!

Denise Willerton said...

what a fabulous card Patti ~ I love your blog...been peeking in on you for some time ~ your creativity is wonderful ~ TFS and have a fabulous weekend :-)

Micki - Avenue of Art said...

Hi, Patti...
Love your Christmas card! (I also leave my DSP in the embossing folder whenever I need to "sand" the top surface. I can get a much more even look.) TFS - Micki (www.AvenueofArt.com)

Ann Schach said...

Wow...texture and bling! I LOVE it! This is a gorgeous card, Patti!

Shari Winterstein said...

I am in love with this color combination. I am thinking about using your sanding idea in my next Stampin' Brunch Bunch class! Thanks for blessing my day and inspiring my art. :)

inkedx2 said...

Very pretty card! Love how you combined the 2 folders and the die for you card. So glad you played with us this week at Hand Stamped Sentiments.

Lesley said...

Very pretty in blues Patti, love the texture and the blinged snowflake.

Yolanda said...

I always love getting the emails to let me know you've updated your blog. You have such great ideas and cards. I just wanted to come by and let you know I've been seeing everything you've done, and I love it! TFS

Dale Morin said...

What a great card! Love the colors, texture and everything about it.

Krista said...

Nice snowflake card....a great tribute to winter. I like the splash of sparkle with the glitter paper. Thank you for joining us at Hand Stamped Sentiments.