Pages

Monday, June 25, 2012

Everyday Battle

Today I have a project I'd like to share with you.  But first, a little history as to what prompted me to make this.  About five years ago, I decided to lose weight (again!) and did Weight Watcher's at home.  Needless to say I never reached my goal.  Time passed and I lost a little weight before my son's wedding last year.  I have very bad arthritis in my knees and in order to get knee replacements, I have to lose weight.  In February I started  Weight Watcher's at home again.  The program changed since I last did it but I liked the old one better so I just used all the materials I had from the last time.  One thing I didn't have, though, was the little tracking books to record what I was eating each day.  I decided to create my own pages in MDS and make my own record keeping book.  Plus, my sisters gave me The Cinch binding machine for Christmas and I'm always looking for ways to use it.  Sorry for the long-winded chatter, but I wanted to explain where this idea came from.

When I had finished the inside pages it was time to tackle the covers.  I saw the sketch from the Create with Connie and Mary Sketch Challenge #207 and decided it was a great design for my book's 
cover.  I did rotate the design to suit my book.  The cover is 8-1/2" x 11".  Stampin' Up! does carry chipboard but it wasn't big enough for my project so I used some other brand I had on hand.  I covered the outside of the covers with Naturals Ivory card stock using the Anywhere Glue Stick.  The insides were covered with the retired Everyday Enchantment designer paper.  A piece of the same paper was run diagonally across the front.  A piece of Pool Party ribbon was used to cover one edge.  Another piece of the designer paper was punched along one edge with the Scallop Trim Border Punch and attached.  I then added a piece of Lucky Limeade card stock.  The title of the book was made using the Big Shot, the retired Timeless Type Jr. Alphabet dies, the designer paper and Pool Party, Peach Parfait, Lucky Limeade and Poppy Parade card stock.  They were attached with the liquid glue.  I punched out one each of the flower from Poppy Parade and Pool Party card stocks and one from the designer paper using the Blossom Punch.  The edges were curled with the bone folder and the Poppy Parade and Pool Party ones were separated giving me five flowers that I layered and attached together with a Poppy Parade glimmer brad.  The flower was attached with glue dots.  The title reflects both the losing battle with weight I've had in the past and the current "losing" battle that I am waging and am determined to win.  My new project is certainly making it enjoyable to keep track of foods eaten and points used.  Mind you, I didn't say doing the weight loss thing was enjoyable!!  Since I started this journey about four and a half months ago, I've lost 24 pounds.  Of course, there were a some weeks that weren't on the negative side but I put it behind me and plod on.  Thanks for visiting today and listening to my ramblings.  Enjoy some fun creativity today.

Stampin' Up! Products Used 
Card Stock/Designer Paper:  Naturals Ivory Card Stock (#101849); Lucky Limeade Card Stock (#122926); Pool Party Card Stock (#122924); Peach Parfait Card Stock (retired); Poppy Parade Card Stock (retired); Everyday Enchantment Designer Series Paper (retired)
Tools:  Big Shot Die-Cutting Machine (#113439); Blossom Punch (#125603); Scallop Trim Border Punch (#118402); Paper-Piercing Tool (#126189); Bone Folder (#102300); Timeless Type Jr. Alphabet Medium Sizzlits Dies (retired)
The Finishing Touches:  Pool Party 3/8" Ruffled Ribbon (#122975); Anywhere Glue Stick (#104045); Multipurpose Liquid Glue (#110755); Mini Glue Dots (#103683); 2010-2012 In Color Glimmer Brads (retired)
        

9 comments:

Smiles, Laurie said...

Pretty book. Congrats on those shed pounds! One tidbit of a perspective change that might be helpful...don't try to lose your weight; get rid of it. If you lose something don't you try to find it again? Just get rid of it! Keep going strong! You can do it :D

Penny Hanuszak said...

First of all congrats on your weight loss Patti. Every pound will get you a step closer to enjoying life more and getting those arthritic knees taken care of.

Your book is just delightful. I'm sharing the link to this post with my sister who has been going to Weight Watchers for quite a while now and has lost about the same amount as you. She's constantly battling to keep the weight down and her arthritis gives her issues too. I think she'll enjoy looking at the book and want to make one herself. TFS Continued Good luck with your weight management!

Penny

Connie Babbert said...

I love your story, Patti...I think surrounding ourselves with pretty things can make a difference. You CAN do it...you ARE doing it! Keep on DOING it! I love that you used the sketch for the front of your book! Thanks for playing along with the sketch challenge this week on Create with Connie and Mary!

Ann Schach said...

Oh, Patti! Congrats on your weight loss! I need to drop about 20 pounds, but I am having a hard time getting motivated :( Maybe if I had a tracker like this, I would get serious about it! This is beautiful, and you used my favorite DSP!

Debbie Henderson said...

Oh Patti, you can do it, I know you can. Just think how much easier it will be to get around without the pain. This book is so cute that that is a motivation tool in itself. Thanks for sharing your story and I will pray that you can continue on the right track. Thanks for joining us this week at CCMC!

Mary Brown said...

Congratulations on your weight loss so far...no easy tasks! LOVE your book and how you incorporated the design for you cover - BRILLIANT! Thanks for playing along this week in the Create with Connie & Mary Thursday Challenge!

Jen said...

Thanks for sharing your journey with us. I've been a follower of Weight Watchers for about 25 years and through the years I've had my ups and downs but I always plod along. One thing I've learned is that the right motivation can make all the difference so I hope that your pretty tracker helps you. Congratulations on your success so far and I hope that in the end you are a big loser! LOL!

And thanks for sharing your project with us at Create With Connie and Mary!

Deb said...

What a great idea to use this sketch for a book! I love it! And I just love your title! Good for you for being determined to get to your goal! I am cheering for you!! You go girl!! Thanks for playing the challenge at Create with Connie and Mary!

Lisa said...

Great way to journal your success! Love this idea! Thanks for playing the Create with Connie & Mary Challenge this week!