Pages

Thursday, June 21, 2012

Have a Purrrrfect Birthday

Happy Thursday everyone.  My little friend here is on the card I made for my youngest sister's birthday yesterday.  She LOVES cats!!!  This is definitely not an original creation of mine.  I am a firm believer in giving credit here to anyone whose idea or technique I try.  In order to remember who created the original, I have "Ideas I Like" pages set up in MS Word where I save any projects that catch my eye.  I label it with the blog address and the date.  Then, if and when I create something, I know just where the inspiration came from.  This idea was saved two years ago from LeeAnn Greff's blog here.  It was just a small photo with no tutorial but I thought I would be able to recreate it.  I also took on The Paper Players Challenge #100 - create a project using any of their past challenges.  The challenge I chose was sketch challenge #7.

Current Challenge
For the card base I chose Cajun Craze card stock.  To a piece of retired Autumn Spice designer paper I added a piece of More Mustard card stock matted with a piece of Old Olive card stock.  A bow was made using retired Old Olive satin ribbon, attached to the designer paper layer with glue dots and this was added to the card front.  The body/head of the kitty was punched out of More Mustard card stock with the 2-1/2" Circle Punch and sponged around the edges with More Mustard ink.  His stripes were added with a VersaMarker (retired).  Naturals  
Old Challenge #7
Ivory card stock was used for his "belly" area,  punched out with a 1-3/4" Circle Punch, sponged with More Mustard ink and added to his body.  His nose was punched out of Blushing Bride card stock with the smallest heart from the retired Heart to Heart punch and attached to a 3/4" circle.  After sponging the circle with More Mustard ink and adding it to the card, I drew on the mouth and whiskers with a Basic Black marker.  The ears were punched out of More Mustard and Naturals Ivory card stocks with the Blossom Petals Builder Punch.  They were sponged around the edges with the More Mustard ink and attached to the kitty.  His feet are made from More Mustard card stock using the 1" Circle punch, sponged with More Mustard ink and attached to the body.  The Basic Black marker was used to mark the toes.  I hand cut the tail from More Mustard card stock, added stripes with the VersaMarker, sponged around the edges and attached it to the back of the body.  I added some googlie eyes I had sitting around.  His comfy chair was made with Old Olive card stock, the Word Window Punch and the Large Oval Punch.  The edges were sponged with Old Olive ink and faux stitching drawn around the edges with an Old Olive marker.  Two Cajun Craze brads were added to the chair.  I "built" the chair on a piece of Naturals Ivory card stock and matted this layer with Cajun Craze card stock.  The kitty was then added with dimensionals.  The sentiment from the Pennant Parade stamp set was stamped on Naturals Ivory card stock with Cajun Craze ink, punched out with the 3/4" Circle Punch and matted with a 1" circle of Old Olive card stock.  I added it in the upper corner part of the image layer and omitted the brads because of that.  This was definitely a labor of love but I am really pleased with the outcome.  I also want to add that another way I save ideas/techniques that I like is to bookmark them but because I have so many it's time consuming to find the one I want to use.  I'm sure others out there have their own way of saving their inspiration.  I'd love to hear about them.  Have a wonderful day.  It is brutally hot here in the Northeast.  If you're living in any of the hot spots in the U.S. right now, what a great excuse to stay inside and have a little fun being creative. 

Stampin' Up! Products Used 
Stamp Set:  Pennant Parade (w-#122740/c-#122742)
Ink:  More Mustard Classic Stampin' Pad (#103162); Old Olive Classic Stampin' Pad (#102277); Cajun Craze Classic Stampin' Pad (#119671); Old Olive Stampin' Write Marker (#100079); Basic Black Stampin' Write Marker (#100082); VersaMarker (retired)
Card Stock/Designer Paper:  Cajun Craze Card Stock (#119684); Naturals Ivory Card Stock (#101849); Old Olive Card Stock (#100702); More Mustard Card Stock (#100946); Blushing Bride Card Stock (retired); Autumn Spice Designer Series Paper (retired)
Tools:  2-1/2" Circle Punch (#120906); 1-3/4" Circle Punch (#119850); 1" Circle Punch (#119868); 3/4" Circle Punch (#119873); Word Window Punch (#119857); Large Oval Punch (#119855); Sponge Daubers (#102892); Stamping Sponges (#101610); Blossom Petals Builder Punch (#121808); Paper Snips (#103579); Heart to Heart Punch (retired)
The Finishing Touches:  3/16" Regals Brads (#119737); Stampin' Dimensionals (#104430); Mini Glue Dots (#103683); Old Olive 5/8" Satin Ribbon (retired)
     
 

7 comments:

LeAnne said...

Patti, this is terrific! LeeAnn is the QUEEN of punch art--I probably have this saved somewhere myself! Adorable! So glad you could play along with us and help us celebrate this week!

Lesley said...

I loved this sketch and am so glad you used it for this challenge Patti, your kitty is stinkin' cute! Thank you for joining us at our 100th Challenge Celebration at the Paper Players!!!

Eileen Lang said...

That is so cute. Thanks for sharing all of the info on how you made it.

Lisa Flynn said...

Love, love, love this card! My sister is into cats big time too. I'm going to case this for her birthday! LOL Thanks for sharing.

Shari Winterstein said...

Soooo adorable! Thanks for blessing my day. :)

Nance Leedy said...

DARLING card Patti! Gonna pin this one so I can recreate it someday too. Love your colors choices--purrfect for this feline. Kudos to you for keeping track of the original source--a challenge sometimes but so appreciated by the artists! So glad you joined us in the 100th challenge fun at The Paper Players!

Anne Marie Hile said...

Patti, this is just too stinking CUTE!! Such a sweet kitty and so creative, too. Thanks so much for joining us this week at the Paper Players! ;)