Pages

Monday, July 23, 2012

Christmas Gift Card Holder

Good Monday to all.  We enjoyed a beautiful weekend here in the Northeast; I hope you did too.  This is my weekly Christmas card for last week based on the Merry Monday July Challenge (choose any previous sketch and complete four cards during July) and the Jingle Belles Challenge 12:15 - use red OR green.  It's quite obvious red was my color of choice.  I also chose the previous Merry Monday sketch #10.  When I revisited this sketch, it looked like a pocket card so I decided to make a gift card holder.  You can 
see the card I made previously using this sketch here.

I chose not to make a card that opens because of the pocket.  There is space on the back of the insert to sign or even on the very back of the card.  The single layer base is made with Crumb Cake card stock.  To that I added a layer of Real Red Polka Dot Parade designer paper.  I ran a piece of 
Real Red card stock through the Big Shot using the Perfect Polka Dots embossing folder.  It was matted with Crumb Cake card stockWhite Baker's Twine was wrapped around three times leaving each end free on top of the layer.  A Real Red button was attached to a 1" Whisper White circle using glue dots.  I poked a hole through the button holes and white circle and brought the ends of 
the twine through the holes to the front of the button.  Before tying the knot I attached the white circle to the card with glue dots.  To be sure the pocket stayed in place, I attached it to the card with Sticky Strip.  The sentiment from the Tags til Christmas stamp set was stamped on Whisper White card stock with Real Red ink.  I then stamped two candy canes from the Chock Full of Cheer stamp set at the bottom.  I added some Dazzling Details to the 
white stripes and set it aside to dry.  For the back of the insert where the gift card goes, I cut a piece of Crumb Cake card stock and used the Word Window punch to make a slot for the gift card.  The slot needs to be wider than the punch so just slide it over and punch again.  This layer was then attached to the back of the sentiment.  I punched a hole in the top and threaded a piece of Real Red Taffeta Ribbon through it to make a slip knot.  The "legs" were cut
off three Real Red Glimmer Brads and dimensionals were used to add them to the insert.  Gift cards are big during the holidays and I'm sure this will come in handy.  I hope you enjoyed today's card.  If you have any questions, you can contact me by e-mail (see side bar).  Enjoy the rest of your day.



  
Stampin' Up! Products Used 
Stamp Sets:  Chock Full of Cheer (w-#126715/c-#126717); Tags til Christmas (w-#120847/c-#121169)
Ink:  Real Red Classic Stampin' Pad (#103133)
Card Stock/Designer Paper:  Crumb Cake Card Stock (#120953); Real Red Card Stock (#102482); Whisper White Card Stock (#100730); Polka Dot Parade DSP (#126902)
Tools:  Big Shot Die-Cutting Machine (#113439); 1" Circle Punch (#119868); Word Window Punch (#119857); Perfect Polka Dots Embossing Folder (#117335)
The Finishing Touches:  Brights Designer Buttons (#119744); Real Red 1/8" Taffeta Ribbon (#119251); White Baker's Twine (#124262); Mini Glue Dots (#103683); Sticky Strip (#104294); Dazzling Details (#124117); 3/8" Brights Glimmer Brads (#121006); Stampin' Dimensionals (#104430)
 





9 comments:

Bonnie said...

I loved the last card you did for this sketch, Patti, and I think you've outdone yourself! You're right, it's a perfect sketch for a gift card. I love the little pocket you made! Thanks for sharing with us again at Merry Monday!

SmilynStef said...

What a fun little sentiment ... love that hidden gift surprise ... so glad you joined us at jingle belles.

Bobbie said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog today and leaving sweet comments! I love your latest projects, but this card holder is adorable! Will be stopping by more often. If you get a chance, we'd love for you to play with us at Hand Stamped Sentiments some time!

Narelle Farrugia said...

This is perfect Patti! I love your gift card holder card - great idea hiding it behind your sentiment. Thanks for joining us at Merry Monday this week!

June Houck said...

Patti, this is positively delightful! Red is my favorite color and I adore polka dots. Your glitter brads are yummy and I love gift card holders. Super inspiration :)

lauren bergold said...

oh my gosh, YES, now that you say it, i can see that sketch is SCREAMING "gift card holder"... and yours is totally FAB♥U♥LOUS!!! i loooooove that fun sentiment, and the glittery bits and even the way you've got embossed polkas to chime in with the patterned paper... and then the little glitter dots... everything is sooooo cleverly thought out! (i love the "surprise" of the candy canes, too, when you remove the card!) :)

Terry said...

Wow! This card just grabs you. It's so striking. I love the giftcard idea, and loved seeing the bottom of the "naughty" layer. So cute!

Notes by Nina said...

What a wondeful idea, great card. Thank you for joining us for Merry Monday.

Waseem said...

this is wonderful idea for gift card and Gift Card envelopes..thanks you share it with us.