Pages

Thursday, November 15, 2012

Sailing, sailing.....

Hello everyone.  Today's card is based on two challenges:  iSpy Sketch Challenge #41 and Nacho Average Challenge #20.  I got a little creative by making my own designer paper when I didn't have many that fit the colors in the challenge.

I love this sunburst technique because it's a great way to use designer paper.  I started out with a base of Baja Breeze card stock.  I then embossed about 1/3 of the Very Vanilla layer with the Big Shot and the Houndstooth embossing folder.  For part of the sunburst I used a piece of Comfort Cafe designer paper.  
For the other pieces of the sunburst, I decided to create my own designer paper.  For one I used the anchor from The Open Sea stamp set and stamped it on Summer Starfruit card stock with Midnight Muse ink.  The other was made using the globe image from the same stamp set and stamping it on Very Vanilla card stock with Summer Starfruit ink.  I then cut the rays.  A while back I found this tutorial that was helpful with this technique.  I then added my different papers above the embossed area on the Very Vanilla card stock layer.  I trimmed off all the ends that were hanging over the edge and added a piece of Summer Starfruit ribbon and three Very Vanilla brads.  The whole layer was then attached to the card.  The ship from The Open Sea stamp set was heat embossed on Baja Breeze card stock using VersaMark, Midnight Muse ink and clear embossing powder.  I punched it out with the large circle punch and matted it with Midnight Muse card stock that was cut out with the retired Circle Scissor Plus.  Three more Very Vanilla brads were added and the ship popped up with dimensionals.  I enjoyed this sketch and these colors.  I am loving that Summer Starfruit.  Thanks again for stopping by.  I hope you're enjoying a fun and creative week.

Stampin' Up! Products Used 
Stamp Set:  The Open Sea (w-#123030/c-#123032)
Ink:  Summer Starfruit Classic Stampin' Pad (#126991); Midnight Muse Classic Stampin' Pad (#126860); VersaMark (#102283)
Card Stock/Designer Paper:  Very Vanilla Card Stock (#101650); Baja Breeze Card Stock (#111352); Midnight Muse Card Stock (#126843); Summer Starfruit Card Stock (#126839); Comfort Cafe Designer Series Paper (#126898)
Tools:  Big Shot Die-Cutting Machine (#113439); Heat Tool (#129053); Stampin' Trimmer (#126889); Houndstooth Embossing Folder (#123134); 2-1/2" Circle Punch (#120906); Circle Scissor Plus (retired); Glass Mat (retired)
The Finishing Touches:  Summer Starfruit 3/8" Stitched Satin Ribbon (#126846); 3/16" Neutrals Brads (#119736); Clear Stampin' Emboss Powder (#109130); Stampin' Dimensionals (#104430)
          

4 comments:

Vickie Z said...

Love the patterned paper you created....it's wonderful!! Thanks for playing at I Spy!!

Tammy said...

WOW!! Love that sketch! What a cool card!! Thanks for joining the Nachos this week!

Rose said...

Great masculine card and technique. I've tried this with the brayer and ink but have never mastered it-thanks for an alternative method.

Sharon said...

Patti, what a wonderfully executed card! and I just love how you created your own dsp to help pull the theme together and create a cohesive card! what a clever girl! thank you for playing along with us @ NAC. I hope that we see more of your work, soon.