Pages

Friday, July 12, 2013

Butterflies in Flight


Looks like a nice clean and simple card, right?  Sometimes looks are deceiving.  I spent, what I think, is too much time on such an easy to do card.  I used three great challenges for my inspiration:  Hand Stamped Sentiments Color Challenge #163; Freshly Made Sketches #94; Stampin' Royalty Challenge #184 - One Layer card.

I wanted the colors to stand out so I chose Whisper White card stock as the base.  To get the slanted design, I used the Simply Scored Borders Plate to mark off the area where the butterflies would go.  I do it on the back side of the front so I get the raised design on the front.  The sentiment from the Sweet Essentials stamp set was stamped using Pistachio Pudding ink.  I 
wanted to make the front a tad more interesting than just the stamping and embossing so I punched out a butterfly using the Bitty Butterfly punch.  In order to stamp it in the right spot on the inside, I lightly traced around it and used my Stamp-a-ma-jig for the right placement.  The inside butterfly is from the Papillon Potpourri stamp set (as they all are) and is stamped in Strawberry Slush ink.  The ones on the front are stamped in Pistachio Pudding, Crisp Cantaloupe and Daffodil Delight inks.  The antennae from the same stamp set were stamped in Basic Black on two of the butterflies.  I guess I expected this one-layer card to go together quickly but lining up the borders to try to get them evenly spaced and then embossed was a little more time consuming than I thought it would be.  Mission accomplished; I'm happy with the result.  I guess the more you use the Borders Plate, the more proficient you become.  Hope your week is going well.  See you next time.

Stampin' Up! Products Used 
Stamp Sets:  Papillon Potpourri (w-#132058/c-#123759); Sweet Essentials (w-#126455/c-#126457)
Ink Pads:  Daffodil Delight (#119667); Crisp Cantaloupe (#131176); Pistachio Pudding (#131177); Strawberry Slush (#131178); Basic Black (#126980)
Card Stock:  Whisper White (#100730)
Tools:  Simply Scored Borders Plate (#126192); Simply Scored Scoring Tool (#122334); Simply Scored Stylus (#125624); Bitty Butterfly Punch (#129406); Stamp-a-ma-jig (#101049)

    

9 comments:

Diane Vander Galien said...

Very Pretty!!! Love the embossed panel!!! Butterflies worked perfect!!! Love the cut out butterfly- so cute!!! Thanks for playing along with HSS, Diane

Georgeann Manning said...

I adore this card! so pretty!! Thanks for playing this weeks Stampin' Royalty Challenge!

Allisa said...

Gorgeous CAS card, love the pop of color. Thanks for playing with us at Freshly Made Sketches!

Eileen Lang said...

Love it Patti - really pretty. Love the embossing.

Chris D. said...

Your card is so cool!

Bonnie said...

What a lovely, CAS card, Patti!

Erika Clark said...

Really pretty! I take wayyyyy too much time trying to "do clean and simple" right, so you are not alone, my friend :) You have created a really lovely card, it's got color, texture, plenty of white space...just right! Thanks for playing at HSS :) Erika

Linda said...

This is so beautiful. I love the butterflies, the embossing everything about it. So elegant....

Cindy Hall said...

This is such a beautiful card. Yes, it is very clean and simple, but I can tell a lot went in to the design and construction. Very well done! Thanks for sharing with us at Freshly Made Sketches!