Pages

Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Faux Patina Sketch with Snowman & Bling

Wondering about the weird title on my post today.  Well it pretty much covers the four challenges I tackled on this card:  Merry Monday  Challenge #76 - Use a Snowman, LateNightStamper's Challenge #232 - Bling it Up!, The Technique Twist Challenge #7 - Faux Patina, and Craft Project Central Sketch #27.  Whew now that's asking for it.  As you can see below, I need to improve my faux patina technique a bit so this probably won't be the last you see of it.

My card base of Smoky Slate Textured card stock is 4-1/4" x 11".  For the faux patina technique I followed the tutorial from Angie Leach on her blog here.  I won't go into the step by step because her video is really easy to follow.  I'll just tell you what colors I used on my card.  The faux patina layer started out with Whisper White card stock which I embossed with the Northern Flurry embossing folder.  The colors I used for the patina were
Smoky Slate, Pool Party, Bermuda Bay and Island Indigo inks.  I used Silver Embossing Powder as my metallic color.  After finishing the patina, I rounded two opposite corners of the layer, sponged around the edges with Smoky Slate ink and matted it with Island Indigo card stock (rounded the same two corners on this layer too).  This was then added to the card.  The snowman from the No Peeking stamp set was colored with Island Indigo, Bermuda Bay
faux patina
Pool Party and Smoky Slate markers, stamped on Whisper White card stock and cut out with a circle punch.  I colored the sentiment from the Merry Winter stamp set with Pool Party, Bermuda Bay and Island Indigo inks, stamped it on Whisper White and punched it out with a circle punch.  I added Silver Dazzling Details around the edges of both and to the snowman's hat, scarf and face.  When dry, I matted both with Island Indigo circles and popped them up with DimensionalsRhinestones were added to the snowflakes for some more bling.  I was thinking - I had more than one snowman on the card (almost).  The way I look at it, my snowflakes could be the start of another one.  Stretching it a little, huh?  Enjoy your evening.

Stampin' Up! Products Used
Stamp Sets:  No Peeking (retired); Merry Winter (retired)
Ink:  Smoky Slate Classic Stampin' Pad (#131179); Pool Party Classic Stampin' Pad (#126982); Bermuda Bay Classic Stampin' Pad (#131171); Island Indigo Classic Stampin' Pad (#126986); Brights Stampin' Write Markers (#131259); Subtles Stampin' Write Markers (#131263); Regals Stampin' Write Markers (#131262); Smoky Slate Stampin' Write Marker (#131898); VersaMark (#102283)
Card Stock:  Smoky Slate Textured 12"x12" Card Stock (#132131); Island Indigo (#122923); Whisper White (#100730)
Tools:  Big Shot Die-Cutting Machine (#113439); Heat Tool (#129053); Northern Flurry Embossing Folder (#120902); 3/16" Corner Punch (#119867); 1" Circle Punch (#119868); 1-1/4" Circle Punch (#119861); 1-3/4" Circle Punch (#119850); Circles Collection Framelits (#130911); Sponge Daubers (#102892); Stamping Sponges (#101610);
The Finishing Touches:  Silver Stampin' Emboss Powder (#109131); Silver Sparkle Dazzling Details (#127845); Rhiestone Basic Jewels (#119246); Stampin' Dimensionals (#104430)

      

14 comments:

Bonnie said...

What a wonderful technique! I hope we do see more of it! And your snowman is adorable! Thanks for sharing with us again at Merry Monday!

Lauri Ingram said...

Patti! Thanks so much for joining both the sketch challenge at CPC and our Faux Patina challenge at Technique Twist! Beautiful colors on the patina!

Leena Girsa said...

What a lovely, frosty Faux Patina background! Terrific job on this Patti! Thanks for joining us at The Technique Twist!

The Crafty Laydee said...

Hello there-Great effect you have created for your background,what a fabby technique.
Beautiful card :)
Thank you for stopping by my little Blog to say hello,and for taking the time to leave a comment-I appreciate it.
Have a lovely day,Nessa xx

Jessica said...

Gee! Never thought of using the Patina for such a beautiful background. Loving it all! Tx you for joining us as at technique Twist!
Jess

Karen D said...

You have achieved the most amazing texture and colour with your faux patina technique. Just perfect with your cute wee snowman. Thanks so much for sharing your card with us at the Merry Monday Challenge.

Notes by Nina said...

Very pretty card Patti, these are wonderful colours and I love the sparkle. Thank you for joining us for Merry Monday.

Jacque said...

Beautiful! Who ever receives this card will keep it forever!

Wendy said...

Love this, Patti! Great colors and cute snowman! Love that snowflake embossed background!!
Thanks for playing along with us this week over at Merry Mondays! :)

Pam Strobel said...

Perfect Faux Patina colors to go with your winter scene.
Thanks for TWISTING with us!

Lisa said...

Your card came out so cool! (no pun intended,lol!)Love the colors and the technique!

Susan Joyce said...

I like the Faux Patina background and the colours, sweet card. Thanks for playing with us at Merry Monday.

Julie Fields said...

Love the frosty snowy effect the Faux Patina adds to your card Rocky! A perfect flurry wonderland! :) Thanks for joining us at the Technique Twist!

Julie Fields said...

I'm so sorry Patti! I called you Rocky accidentally! :(